Thursday, May 31, 2012

Banias

 We were driving more North
At home we all were given scripture to memorize
and when it was the right time,
 we were supposed to share our scripture with the group
I knew my scripture was coming up

so when everyone had come back from the bathroom I started:
 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi
but Todd said: not yet


So we went on a hike

 this time we met lots of groups

 walking along the water

 water defined this place
water means life


when we stopped I tried to say my verses again:

When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi

but Todd stopped me: "not yet"

 under a Roman bridge

 we came to the Rock

 Most of Jesus teaching was in the triangle
where the religious Jews lived
when He does go out, He does it to make a point


This was a place where fertility gods were worshiped

 A pretty sick way of "worship"
with sacred goats

 The water used to come out of the rock 
before an earthquake

It must have been a picture of fertility
perverted as it was


When Todd gathered us he asked me to say my verses
 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, 
he asked his disciples,
Who do people say the Son of Man is?
 
but after 2 lines he asked me to stop again
I was getting frustrated with this memory verse thing
I'd so enjoyed working on them at home


We sat down in the shade and talked about

Jesus setting his face like flint for Jerusalem
we'd have to get the scripture reference ourselves
I didn't find it, but Annie did and she shared it with all of us

 I will make your forehead like the hardest stone

We also talked about our youth, our kids
how to protect them
how to help them live in the world and not be off it

Many parents do not realize 
how huge their influence is on their kids faith
I wish parents would realize that they are the primary
people to influence their kids, not school or church

That's actually very Jewish
a lot of Jewish teaching is in the home
also the feasts have usually a huge "home" part

I finally did get to say my full scripture:

When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”


This was it but I think  the next part belongs too
and those went more into the rock:

Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven.  And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it

It made us think about what Jesus meant
What is the rock?
Peter?, Ceasarea Philipi? Peter's confession? Discipleship?
the answer is likely: yes, to all

No comments: